Finding my Life Purpose



For those who have been following my blog, it's been a full week since I released
the post on Depression is For The Weak.
Following that, I'd like to touch on another topic/issue that had started bothering me every since completing my studies.



What do I want to do with my life?
What is my life purpose?




To be honest, this isn't a question that has popped up suddenly out of the blue. There has been so many times in my life where I seemingly get stuck in the moment and not know what to do next. The only difference? The question came back with a vengeance ever since graduation.

I'd think that such scenarios - where one does not know what to do next - would apply to all of us at least once in lives, at different stages. Whether we are entering college or university, graduating, applying for a job, recovering from a breakup, or entering retirement, we all have a point in our lives where we don’t know what to do next. And in such cases, we are all seeking for an answer or solution that will enable us to survive another day.

For those who already has a career but is stuck in a job you hate, you’re (unfortunately) not alone. In Singapore where I am from, workers here are an unhappy and pessimistic lot. According to a survey conducted across seven Asian nations (Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia and Hong Kong), Singapore had ranked the lowest in job happiness. In another study, out of the 5,670 employees surveyed in Singapore, 75% say they view their job only as a way to make a living and nothing more. 

Apparently, this isn't an isolated case experienced only in Singapore.
In fact, 56% of Japanese employees and 60% of UK workers are not satisfied in their current job, and an astonishing 80% of Americans are dissatisfied with their jobs.


In my humble opinion, I think some of this unhappiness stems from the concept of “life purpose” itself, where we believe that are each born for a greater purpose - whether to contribute a novel and groundbreaking idea to the world, or to save and support the less fortunate. 

Life isn’t predictable and the solutions we seek to answer our life questions isn't easily found or understood. There are definitely no rules to follow and we do have to work hard to try and define our path in life. Often, when we are required to make important decisions or choices in our lives, we can possibly become overwhelmed and so choose to do nothing – its just too hard, there are may be too many repercussions or consequences. We become paralysed rather than be liberated by the power of choice.


Although I have yet to truly sort out my own issues, I like to read stories by others about how they lived their lives, their life lessons and how they overcame their challenges in life. These stories inspire, motivate, and gives me hope especially when I am unsure about what to do next in my life. It may not be a one stop solution, but it does help me sort out some of the confusion in my mind and in my heart.



 “Look back upon your life and ask: What up to now have you truly loved, what has raised your soul, what ruled it and at the same time made you happy? Line up these objects of reverence before you, and see how they form a ladder on which you have so far climbed up toward your true self.” – Friedrich Nietzsche



A long time ago, when I was a child, I used to imagine and dream a lot. I used to lie in my room, writing stories, drawing comics, dreaming about the endless adventures or experiences one could have when you grow up. It truly was a great time, and I enjoyed my doodling not because I wanted anyone to see it, but for the sheer joy of it.

And then, somewhere in between while growing up, I stopped. And I don’t remember why.

We all have a tendency to lose touch with what we loved and enjoyed as a child. It may have been the society and social pressures while growing up, it may have been our parent's expectations of us, it may have been the lack of time. Whatever it was, it squeezed the passion out of us. We’re taught that the only reason to do something is if we’re somehow rewarded or recognised for it - be it monetary or social media recognition.





Now that I am on this journey of self-discovery, I'd like to help my readers too. From my own experiences, I have created this worksheet for all of you. Feel free to download a copy for yourself and I hope it'll help you wherever possible. 

Thank you for reading, and for following my journey.

Download your FREE worksheet here.



xoxo,
meixii

Comments

  1. This is a question I still grapple with in middle age. It's good to deal with these tough issues and face them head on! Keep soldiering on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! I believe every single person would grapple with this somewhere in their lives - once, twice, thrice. As many as it would take them to be at peace with themselves. Good luck with your journey, I believe we will all come out from it, and be in a better place.

      Delete
  2. Such an interesting post and every now ad then, I do give it some thought. I'm in my 30s now and think fuuuuuuck, what on earth did I do in my 20s? I should have it all figured out by now but you know what, I really don't. The main goal for me as cliche as it sounds is to ultimately be happy.

    Lima
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Lima, it may be cliche, but I know many of my friends who has the ultimate goal of being happy. Well, isn't that what life is all about? I really cannot imagine how one can possibly survive so many years without being happy. Life is short, and we are all just a single person in this huge huge world. To seek happiness is only human. My goal is also to be happy too. x

      Delete
  3. This is such an amazing post and one I can resonate with. I've always been such an ambitious person (thanks my papa) but the moment I had my first relationship I gave up my dreams (I wanted to be a songwriter and music producer) because he felt threatened by me wanting to achieve (he was a loser a lazy person). I stayed with him for 10 yrs in an abusive relationship and wasted all of my 20s and early 30s. Then once I left him I wanted to do blogging bit was afraid of what people would think of me (IE family and friends). Because of my husband he finally pushed me to follow my dreams. Sometimes it takes someone longer to find their purpose, but it's OK just to be happy and content too. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry about your past Susana. But I'm so glad and happy to hear that you have managed to walk out of that abusive environment that you were in, and you even found yourself a supporter! I'm currently also trying out blogging, and I'm hoping that this could make me a reasonable amount of income. Do share with me some tips or tricks that could help me achieve my goals! I'm really interested to know and hear what you have to share :)

      Delete
  4. I'm leaving Uni this year and will be starting my first job. At this place and time I really had to ask myself which direction I wanna take and I think I figured it out for the moment. But you never know what happens next. I am really grateful that I have a blog where I know where I want it to go... So if anything doesn't go the way I want it I still have my blog to come too.
    Lea, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Lea, thank you for sharing.

      It does seem that we are both in the same boat isn't it? Here I am, also working on my blog, taking small steps into making this a success. We just gotta work at it girl!
      We got this!

      Delete
  5. What a useful worksheet - I'd have never thought that you could create a worksheet on such a huge life changing question but in fact what you've made is ever so useful and does give a good direction! I'm still figuring it out - but at least for now I've quit the job I didn't enjoy and am now doing blogging which I love! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tereza, I guess this is life isn't it?

      We are all constantly on a journey, changing and altering our needs and wants as we grow. I'm so happy to hear that you are now doing something that you love! I am also on this blogging journey, and I'll be there in spirit for you, as we grow together!

      Delete
  6. I think that finding what we are meant to do in this life is something that changes as we grow and change. From time to time we need to reevaluate what we are doing to see if we are still in our sweet spot. Your worksheet is a great way to evaluate that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, thank you for reassuring me that the worksheet wasn't created in vain! It's such a wonderful feeling to know that this actually helped an individual out there, whether hugely or minutely. x

      Delete
  7. Well I guess the thing in here is not be blinded by your dreams. But losing them is not a great thing, it's like getting from one extreme to another. And life is not as simple as they convinced us in schools. They told us we will reach the stars and now we have depression because time is passing by, we are nearly 30, 40 and so on and we are still trying and still not having them.
    Patience and reasonableness is the key in life. Keep your eyes open and look for opportunity. I may be something you'd never expect. Like having a dream job in labs when they studied history (I know people like that).
    Just don't follow what they taught you in school ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula, thank you so much for your precious advice.

      I am just a single person in this huge world and sometimes I do feel so overwhelmed by that fact that I just become paralysed from not knowing my goal in life. To be honest, I had a bad "cultural shock" upon leaving university and I realised that unlike what the schools convinced us, not all of us will reach the stars.

      I have came to terms with that and I have sorted out my thoughts. In a way, I have found my life purpose (for now), but who knows? It may change in another 5 or 10 years.

      Delete
  8. Omg this was a very reassuring post to read especially with the circumstances I'm currently facing. At the end of the day it is sorta reassuring to see that there are others out there who managed to figure it all out, and that you too will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mika, although I am unaware of what your circumstances may be, do stay hopeful and just know that everything is going to work out in the end. You aren't alone in this world!
      And if you feel that you need a listening ear for whatever it may be, feel free to drop me a mail.

      Lots of love.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for providing a work sheet! That really helps :-). I love the paradigm that you're using here to find purpose, it means that whatever you land on it will be not only helpful to you but also others which I think is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Kate!

      I am so happy to hear that the worksheet was of help, and that you loved the paradigm. I do believe that one day in our lives, we can all eventually be right in the middle, and achieve ideality.

      Delete
  10. I really like the happiness level image. Also, it is definitely important to find the purpose of life and I think it's important for everyone to think about this topic. http://www.clairebearblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Claire, thank you for taking time out to read this post!

      Many people in this world struggle with identifying their life purpose, along with the "What makes me special?" question. Self discovery isn't so easy for everyone, and with this post, I hope to help others, while trying to help myself.

      Delete
  11. I really like this post and love to read it ,I'm just looking for something and I found this blog I can say that it's motivate me and I don't know why but after reading this I'm actually curious to read all your post it's kind a make me excited or something else I don't know exactly how to describe this in words but your content it's really different , and I just want to keep reading your posts whatever you write I just want to read to be honest I'm not a true reader on a blog cause I've a busy schedule everyday I'm a illustrators and I don't have a time to time to read things on blogs and website but since I visit here I feel I need to read this cause your words and content so positive to me it's give me a some kind of happiness which I can't explain in words but I'm feeling really happy to read this one please keep writing for us thank you for writing ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Meena, thank you so much for your kind words. It makes me so happy to know that someone out there likes and appreciates what I write. When lovely people like you come forward and acknowledge my efforts, I don't feel so alone in this vast and sometimes unforgiving world known as the internet.

      However, it is my deepest regret that I wasn't able to keep on writing and sharing, simply because my "real" / full time job schedule was becoming increasingly overwhelming since the mid of 2018. To be honest, I haven't even visited my own page for the past 6 months or so.... But at this very point - NOW - your words are motivating me to write once more. I might just have a go at writing again? Who knows? It will be your credit if I do :)

      Best wishes to you and your family.
      Thank you for making my day (9 months after you posted your comment).

      Delete
  12. For some people, purpose is connected to vocation—meaningful, satisfying work. For others, their purpose lies in their responsibilities to their family or friends. Others seek meaning through spirituality or religious beliefs. Some people may find their purpose clearly expressed in all these aspects of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vasudev, apologies for the extremely and ridiculously late reply.

      I do agree with your point on vocation, and I think that for most, a meaningful job inevitably helps them find meaning in life. At least in Asia, we often find that people, who had been working for half of their life, tend to fall into mental crisis whenever they enter retirement. They often feel restless and have no idea what is next in life for them... I personally feel that seeking purpose in work and with the family is both equally important to ensure that a fulfilling and meaningful life is led. There is no one aspect that is better than the other.

      Delete
  13. I also enjoyed reading your post. I have become overwhelmed and paralysed by my circumstances and failed to move forwards, due to being unable to make decisions that are true to myself.

    I am ready to open my authentic self, come out from hiding. With honesty, I will complete your worksheet and leap towards my ‘Joy’. Am so excited to find my true life purpose(s).

    With huge gratitude and best of luck to you, wherever you are on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  14. www.unstuck.com/purpose_practice has the same worksheet! not sure who developed this first...but if you did, you should take credit for your intellectual property!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, A very well written and a mind opening Article, and I am so glad i found this at the right time, I am doing a workshop for Women, helping them find their Missing Me ,( i.e help them identify and explore the talent and creativity they posses , but haven't been able to pursue them due to multiple social reasons) and i think your article is going to help me give them that desired motivation to get them back into doing what they always wished t do.

    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the information about it. This article is very useful for all people. The same article is here how to grow up. Please read our blog and change your lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post and writing style, do continue writing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!
I really love hearing from you :)